The Virginia Standards of learning for Reading-Grade 6 can be found at this website. English 6-8 Framework
6.6 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of a variety of nonfiction texts.
- a) Use text structures such as type, headings, and graphics to predict and categorize information in both print and digital texts.
- b) Use prior knowledge and build additional background knowledge as context for new learning.
- c) Identify questions to be answered.
- d) Make, confirm, or revise predictions.
- e) Draw conclusions and make inferences based on explicit and implied information.
- f) Differentiate between fact and opinion.
- g) Identify main idea.
- h) Summarize supporting details.
- i) Compare and contrast information about one topic, which may be contained in different selections.
- j) Identify the author’s organizational pattern. (Text Structures)
- k) Identify cause and effect relationships.
- l) Use reading strategies to monitor comprehension throughout the reading process.
6.8 The student will edit writing for correct grammar, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and paragraphing.
- a) Identify audience and purpose.
- b) Use a variety of prewriting strategies including graphic organizers to generate and organize ideas.
- c) Organize writing structure to fit mode or topic.
- d) Establish a central idea and organization.