The Virginia Standards of learning for Reading-Grade 6 can be found at this website. English 6-8 Framework
6.5 The student will read and demonstrate comprehension of a variety of fictional texts, narrative nonfiction, and poetry.
- a) Identify the elements of narrative structure, including setting, character, plot, conflict, and theme.
- b) Make, confirm, and revise predictions.
- e) Use prior and background knowledge as context for new learning.
- f) Use information in the text to draw conclusions and make inferences.
- g) Explain how character and plot development are used in a selection to support a central conflict or story line.
- h) Identify the main idea.
- i) Identify and summarize supporting details.
6.8 The student will edit writing for correct grammar, capitalization, punctuation, spelling, sentence structure, and paragraphing.
- a) Identify audience and purpose.
- b) Use a variety of prewriting strategies including graphic organizers to generate and organize ideas.
- c) Organize writing structure to fit mode or topic.
- d) Establish a central idea and organization.